We are delighted that Lyonsdown is a ‘Good Schools Guide’ school. The Guide is considered to be the leading and most trusted source of honest and independent information about schools in the UK. Schools are selected to be a part of the Good Schools Guide, following a rigorous inspection and decision-making process. We are honoured that Lyonsdown has been a part of the guide for a number of years now.
The review is a wonderful description of Lyonsdown – and should be read by all prospective parents who are considering which school in Barnet or North London would best suit their daughter. We are incredibly pleased that the Good Schools Guide recognised the many fantastic aspects that an education at Lyonsdown School offers.
Some of the highlights are captured in the following extracts:
- “There are happy schools and there are schools that make you grin from ear to ear – Lyonsdown falls firmly into the latter camp.”
- “This little school, succinctly summed up by one happy parent as ‘nurturing within a structured learning environment’, is one to watch…”
- “Pupils leave in equal measures to the many excellent state and independent schools in close proximity….. Parents say girls are well prepared for their chosen route, with the school drilling them in past papers from early in year 5 onwards.”
- “In the lower school classrooms we stumbled across the reception class in the Buddha position earnestly practising their yogic breathing ‘to reinstate calm after music and movement’. Once they snapped back into action they couldn’t wait to tell us all about what they get up to day in and day out; between trips to care homes and visits from authors, parent cardiologists and medal-bearing grandfathers, we wondered how they found the time to practise their letters and numbers but the quality of the work that festooned the walls and adorned the charming Victorian fireplaces confirmed that they were definitely fitting it all in.”
- “Specialist teaching for science right from reception and by year 2 pupils are in the newly refurbished lab twice a week, following an ‘investigation-led’ syllabus that cleverly collaborates with maths.”
- “Art and DT are taught as one and thrive under the watch of another secondary-trained head of department… The output is interesting and of a high standard. The School was recently voted a finalist in the ‘Excellence and Innovation in Fine Arts’ awards (the only prep school to be placed); ‘it’s all about attitude,’ said the HoD.”
- “… space seems magically abundant. Those we spoke to told us: “our school isn’t the biggest, but we love its cosiness’. Well, so did we.”
- “… there’s something for everyone in the extracurricular programme, …”
- “the cherry on top for us on the day of our visit was watching pupils perform in their lunchtime maypole dancing club; incongruous in this multicultural urban setting but the contagious positive energy radiating from such a simple tradition was palpable. No wonder everyone we saw wore such huge smiles.”
- “Teachers, most of whom are long standing members of the staff room, told us they are frequently ‘blown away’ by the pupils who are ‘so into learning’. ‘Some take the country route, and some take the M25,’ one stalwart told us, ‘but we’re passionate about happy children and they all get there in the end.’”
- “…the staff, who routinely inspire, motivate and nurture, with that ever-present Lyonsdown smile.”
“We are incredibly proud of our school,” says Lyonsdown’s Chair of Governors, Ms Andrea Morley. “It is wonderful to read the review, which expertly captures what makes Lyonsdown special. We have always known that Lyonsdown is an outstanding school – but it is lovely to have what our community of parents, pupils, staff and alumni know, adeptly summed up and verified by such a well-respected organisation.”
The review rightly highlighted the many aspects of school life, from art to athletics, choir to coding, and much more beyond. Prospective parents can read the full review here.
We encourage prospective parents to come and see the school for themselves – please click here to arrange a personal tour or to find out the date of our next open event.