Lyonsdown School was established in 1906. The School takes its name from the Lyonsdown Estate which was sold in the 1840s by the British Land Company for development, resulting in the creation of the suburb of New Barnet. The area developed in line with a growing railway transport system.
The original house, in which the school was first established, was built within the first few years of the 20th Century.
Records show that Lyonsdown’s founder and first Headmistress was Miss Maud Chignell. She was already head of Holmewood School in Woodside Park.
From the evidence available, it is assumed that Miss Chignell had previously set up the school on another site, whilst building work was being completed. She subsequently moved in to what was then ‘Park View’, Gloucester Road, in 1906. With the further development of the Lyonsdown estate, the address was altered to 3, Richmond Road, New Barnet.
Lyonsdown School has always served the local business and professional community. Following the retirement of Mrs Doris Sortain, the school building was sold by the then owner, and Lyonsdown became a Charitable Trust in July 1973.
The school buildings have since been extended, and the outside spaces fully developed, to create the school as we know it today.
Lyonsdown continues to thrive and be an extremely popular choice of school for parents of girls aged 3-11 years. We are very proud of the achievements of our pupils and our place within the local area of New Barnet.
Click on the attachments below to view two archived 1940’s class reports.